The UHD Foundation offers donors a variety of charitable giving options that benefit both the donors and UHD. The Foundation is a fund under the umbrella of United Hospital District, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, and contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
When you make a donation to the Foundation, 100 percent of your gift will be used to support the mission of UHD, including clinical diagnostic equipment, facility improvements, patient services, and program expenses. It’s important to note that with any gift, your personal legal or financial advisor should be consulted; UHD Foundation staff cannot provide financial guidance.
We hope you will consider making a personally generous gift in the form of:
- Direct Gifts of Cash or Stock and Bonds – Cash and appreciated securities like stocks or bonds can be donated as an easy and tax-effective way to make a gift to our organization.
- Beneficiary Designation Gifts – No matter your age, you can designate the UHD Foundation as a beneficiary of all or a percentage of a retirement, investment, bank account or insurance policy. This is among the most flexible of charitable gifts because it allows you to continue to use your account without restrictions during your lifetime.
- Bequest – You can designate the UHD Foundation as the beneficiary of your assets by will, trust or beneficiary form. There are many ways to make a bequest: specific bequest amount; percentage of overall estate; or residual bequest made from the balance of an estate. A bequest is commonly a revocable gift, which means it can be changed at any time.
- IRA Charitable Rollover – For those age 70½ and older, you can give any amount (up to a maximum of $100,000) per year from your IRA to a qualified charity such as the UHD Foundation without having to pay income taxes on the money. This is also known as a qualified charitable distribution (QCD).
- IRA Required Minimum Distribution – Beginning the year you turn 72, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year.
- Gifts of Retirement Assets – Donate part or all of your unused retirement assets such as a gift from your IRA, 401(k), 403(b), pension or other tax-deferred plan.
- Other Planned Giving options include Charitable Remainder Unitrusts, Charitable Gift Annuities, Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Charitable Lead Trusts, et al.
The UHD Foundation partners with the Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation, smiflegacy.org, to facilitate complex gifts and gift planning. Always consult your legal or financial advisor.